Saturday, July 30, 2011

Como Fue el Coma Boy?????

The single "Coma Boy", came from the inspiration of the sounds Tre (Loki) and I had put together and arranged.   Tre took samples from the classic Cuban song "Como Fue" by Benny More and layered it on an original Cumbia I composed.  A Cumbia is a classic Colombian rhythm.  Look below for a link to a Cumbia Radio Station broadcasting from Colombia.


I was so deeply moved by the instrumental track of "Coma Boy" that I quickly composed the lyrics for the song in a short period, and already had the vocal melody mapped out soon after.  This was one of the first times I'd felt like I was paying homage to my Colombian heritage...ie...the Cumbia part, Latin...ie....Cuban part,....and my North American....ie....the English crooning style of singing.


Not only did we use Cumbia from Colombia, Salsa Classica from Cuba, and Merengue from the Dominican Republic, we also used lots of electronics.  Take a listen to the single "Coma Boy" and try to figure out the different sounds....hopefully you can do this.....because the video may be quite distracting....haha.  You can download a free copy at the top of the blog...just look for the picture of the girl.


Here is the song "Coma Boy" by TTOCCS REKARP & Loki (Tre Pepper).  Listen carefully to the trumpets, bongos, and Benny's amazing voice!




Here is the original song "Como Fue" by Benny More. Can you hear what samples we used?


Here is a link to a cool Radio Station in Colombia...they play all styles of Colombian music...Cumbia, Salsa, Merengue, Vallenato...and much more! I hope you enjoy the tunes:

No comments:

Post a Comment